Why won't the bolts from bed fit M6 barrel nuts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We have a wooden bed for our son and lost some of the barrel nuts. I purchased M6 ones and the bolt is too big. Must be M8 i thought, nope bolt is way too small. From my google search, M7 barrel nuts don't seem to exist. When i measure the thread from side to side i'm getting 6mm.

Anyone any idea what's going on here? I feel like the bed manufacturer has done this on purpose lol

Sponsored Links
May be they have made and used there own size. Are you certain it is a metric sized bolt.

Sponsored Links
Could it be m6 but with a fine thread pitch? I've seen that before on furniture.

You can buy thread pitch measures, but might be easier to take the bolts to a fixings supplier to get nuts that fit, or get new bolts.

For most metric screws there are at least two pitches (coarse and fine), sometimes more. Alternatively, it might be a UNC or UNF bolt (i.e. American spec). Nobody makes their own threads these days

Last edited by a moderator:
Or just count the number of threads per inch length of bolt, or half it if only half an inch long etc. The number of threads per inch (TPA) will tell you the type of thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back