Wickes Combi 2000 (Halstead) Pressure Drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pressure drop is on the heating side only when the heating is on.

As the heating is currently off I've currently filled the system to max, just under 3bar and its holding steady - no pressure drop at all.

I'm pressuming the pressure vessel has past its best or is it possible to re-inflate them? and is this a diy job.

If not how close would I have to fit an external expansion vessel.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A 12Ltr Vessel could be fitted anywhere in the system, but on the Heating Return pipe, as close to the boiler as practically possible set air pressure to 1-00 Bar before fitting.

it is possible to try and recharge the vessel fitted to the boiler as follows

1) Switch off Boiler
2) release system pressure via drain point or safety valve
3) locate Schraeder valve on vessel (it's behind the boiler, I think best reached from above the boiler, fit compressor or foot pump to vessel, with drain point or safety valve open, pump up vessel to 1-00 Bar, However if boiler starts gurgling and air can be heared rushing through system, then the vessel has failed, You can repalce the vessel on the boiler, but you will have to remove the boiler from the wall to do it, so a substitute vessel is often the best way, especially if the old vessel is still water tight, and You would need the services of an RGI to replace the boiler mounted vessel

Good Luck!

A 12Ltr Vessel could be fitted anywhere in the system, but on the Heating Return pipe, as close to the boiler as practically possible set air pressure to 1-00 Bar before fitting.

it is possible to try and recharge the vessel fitted to the boiler as follows

1) Switch off Boiler
2) release system pressure via drain point or safety valve
3) locate Schraeder valve on vessel (it's behind the boiler, I think best reached from above the boiler, fit compressor or foot pump to vessel, with drain point or safety valve open, pump up vessel to 1-00 Bar, However if boiler starts gurgling and air can be heared rushing through system, then the vessel has failed, You can repalce the vessel on the boiler, but you will have to remove the boiler from the wall to do it, so a substitute vessel is often the best way, especially if the old vessel is still water tight, and You would need the services of an RGI to replace the boiler mounted vessel

Good Luck!

the 1 bar figure is misleading, normally the vessel precharge is 0.75 bar but is dependant on the total volume of water in the system.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys the system is around 12 years old.

Looks like the best option is to fit an external pressure vessel.

Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back