Wickes fencing panels on roof rack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to buy FIVE of their 1.8m x 1.8m woven fencing panels to get the discount.

But they are very unhelpful and will not let me collect in two goes. Even if they have only three in stock they will not let me take the three and come back for the rest!

Car for this is a Peugeot 406 estate with roof bard on the roof rails.

As far as I can estimate the dead weight of the panels is about 20 kg each. Less than helpful Wickes don't have the weights of the panels !

What do others think of taking five panels on the roof of the car for about 2.5 miles?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sometimes I wonder whether these companies really want any business at all. If you've only got to take them a couple of miles, take someone with you and have them stand guard over half the load in a corner of the car park for 15- 20 mins.

Is it a 5 panel deal, or can you not buy 3 and then buy 2 on the next visit?

No they don't actually want customers

Sponsored Links
Since I have the vehicle to take things on the roof then that is what I would like to do to save the £25 delivery charge with no idea of the actual time for delivery ( only 2.5 miles from the store! )

Its a five panel deal. They have to be bought and taken away all at the same time. She said customers often ask about that but its always refused!Why Mr Wickes?

I might take an assistant to guard them in the park while I take the first ones. But I had earmarked the assistant to assist me to unload and move them on site!

I still have not found the official loading for the roof rails. One dealer did list the topic but just said no details available!

Tony

For that sort of distance, I'd take the risk no bother. There won't be any crazy overhangs and lash them down well!
John :)

Take a mate and leave them standing in the car park with 2 of the panels, then go back and pick them up once you have dropped the first three off....

if they are woven you may need to add some timbers to the roof rack/bars to give enough support, don't drive too quick as even on a non-windy day your motion will generate lift.

I think b&q do van hire for about 14 quid per hour

I'd load them all on too, but I'd do it on a non-windy day, I'd strap 'em down well, and I'd drive pretty slow.

Reminds me of a trip down Sutra hill on the scots borders......I was assaulted from above by a wooden thing with a spike on. It was a flying cello :p
Never fancied a convertible :D
John :)

Must be a problem at that branch. I bought a deal on weyroc flooring and collected in 2 trips a couple of days apart.

andytw

Typical roof bars loading is 75kg. Cheap ones often less. As stated above, I'd seriously consider additional bracing for the panels, they'll overhang the sides of the rack considerably.

Must be a problem at that branch. I bought a deal on weyroc flooring and collected in 2 trips a couple of days apart.

andytw

I am sure some branches are more helpful!

Pity somebody from Wickes does not post their policy here.

Problem is that I do want to buy from that particular branch because they have an extra 10% off as its newly established.

No excuse for being unhelpful though. Nor can I order it from them and collect from another( more helpful ) branch!

Tony

One idea is to buy 2 or 3 panels at the higher price. Take them home. Then buy the 5 panels and then get a refund on the 2 or 3 extra ones.

Martin

( only 2.5 miles from the store! )

Just wheel it all the way home on the store's timber trolley then!

heavy-duty-a-frame-trolley-500kg-load--205-p.jpg

Gaz :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back