WICKS combi 82, Halstead combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right let me try to explain this problem, first of all the combi is about two years old and has been working ok up until the last few weeks.

When the control is only on "water only" sometimes you can hear the boiler trying to kick-in (clicking sound) but the actual burner doesn't kick in.
By turning the boiler off and turning it on sometimes works but oftens refuses.
Strangely by turning the switch on to "heating&water" it kicks in straight away however as the heating is on for hours (i cant stand beside it ) and the boiler heats up in periods i don't know for sure that sometimes is doesn't fire up in this mode.
It seems more apparent in hot water mode.

Sponsored Links
Bleeeeeessssss, must be rotten for you, phone the manufacterer if it actullay tells you on your installation instructions, better still look on your "Benchmark" log book which I am "sure" the gas fitter filled in and left with the boiler and get his details and phone him up.

Sponsored Links
Standard boiler standard problem innit? Sounds like DV diaphragm + confusion. Could be primary flow switch not working properly -diaphragm, possibly pump going slow.
Not a dear one Mark - though the bits are over priced.

Not much wrong with Halsteads it seems to me. Same as several others and not as bad as some.. I think you're all Wickesist!

Should it go so soon? 2 years? The price on this boiler was really good and i thought these boilers was ok.

Does anyone know anything regarding these? or has anyone got one?

The diaphragm is only a cheap bit of rubber, they can "go" fairly new on any boiler. Can't find the name anywhere but it could be a Halstead Finest. Any idea? Has it got a grey plastic panel at lower front?

Just says combi 82 on the bottom and its not grey it like a white panel with a big 24 puss pin dialer .

It could be several things with the diverter as a first part to be checked.

Why not call the installer first telling him you did notn expect the boiler to fail so soon?

Otherwise there are 102,000 registered gas engineers in the "United Kingdom" of whom the majority are probably registered for boilers.

Rather less will want to work on Halstead boilers though.

To be honest apart from the very cheap knobs and control panel I dont have a big problem with them!

Tony Glazier

101,000 as I wont be looking at it, there normally installed by cheap merchants which means not fitted to any regs, so that means customers wont want to pay me to fill in a load of warning notices as required by gas regs before I can even think about repairing it and then if I do repair it and it is "At Risk" then I wont be happy to leave it working, there nearly always a non starter, the one I went to last week was fitted 2 years ago and you could stand in the bath and operate the boiler, page 8 3.2 of the installation instructions say this wasnt' acceptable, I left it.

Ped, the trouble is that if you leave it they will call someone else who is less strict about regulations!

I once turned off a boiler because there was no ventilation and the flue was not in a safe place.

The Chinese Agent then called someone else who turned it back on and told the tenant to leave a window open !!!

They did correct the flue later though after I had warned the tenant that opening the window was not an acceptable solution, dont know about the ventilation!

Tony

It's a Halstead Ace I'm told. WHich means the Mfrs Inst are on the net.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN, maybe if things in general to do with reg gas fitters was a bit cheaper you wouldn't get people to cut corners would you, its only natural that people will even though it might be life threatening it will just go on wether you like it or not.
My honest opinion of gas fitters is mixed ;Example: i once bought a fire place from this local shop the shop used "their own" fitters, the gas man came out started been mouthy saying this and that was wrong with the old fire and fittings and that there was a drop in the reading so naturally i was concerned, i get a second corgi opinion the new guy says that everything was ok and that you are allowed a drop in reading to a degree.
So i cancelled the fire and got one from elsewhere and the new guy said everything was ok.
Some are ok and have common sense and some have hang ups, now if something is dangerous and life threatening fair dos but a lot of the time its something simple that need a little tlc

The installer would rightly charge for changing a diaphragm. If the boiler came with a 2 year guarantee then call whatever number Wickes give you.
Otherwise it's probably just a minor repair, of a part which is not made by Wickes or Halstead and could "go" on many boilers which use the same thing. If you say you think the problem's the HW diaphragm an engineer would come with one, total bill probably around £100.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back