Widening a fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I'm looking for some advice on widening a fireplace please. We have just removed an inset gas fire with a view to installing a freestanding wood burner. Problem is the fireplace opening is not wide enough. The chimney is wide enough externally but internally it seems to have been bricked up to compensate for the gas fire.

We have managed to get the old gas fire out and all the rubble that was packing it in. We've now got bricks which seem to have been used to reduce the size internally. I attach some pics.

We probably only need to widen by 10-15cms either side. There is a lintel in place and it seems to stretch across further than these bricks.

Do you think we are safe to remove a row of bricks either side? Any advice on getting them out - do we just chip away?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
It can be done. Many bricks in an original chimney are connected directly to the wall. I've just used a drill to take off the mortar and an SDS drill to make is easier to cut some bricks with a cold chisel. It's hard work though. If fitting the stove yourself your Building Control Officer will need to be notified which unfortunately will add to the cost (regulations/insurance).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back