Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Took the fireplace out and got left with what looks like a neat builders opening.

Can this opening be extended if I add a new wider lintel? Extending only by 10cm each side.

Can the gather/bricks inside be removed?

What if sides of chimney breast are hollow? Seems like they might not be but never know...

We will not be adding solid or gas fueled stoves in. This is all decorative.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG-20211010-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20211010-WA0002.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG-20211010-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20211010-WA0001.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG-20211010-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20211010-WA0000.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 281
Sponsored Links
They may well be hollow and widening the original opening by 10cm (half brick) each side might involve opening a can of worms.

remove the plaster above the opening and lookfor a lintel. see how the lintels bearing at each side.
i thinkthe opening used to be wider and has since been infilled .Is this a outside wall?

remove the plaster above the opening and lookfor a lintel. see how the lintels bearing at each side.
i thinkthe opening used to be wider and has since been infilled .Is this a outside wall?

Sorry should have mentioned because its not clear, the lintel in the second image can be seen above my head. And it is exactly 15cm wider than the opening on each side.

It is shared.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
if you go ahead with your plan it will leaves you 50mm of re-built bearing oneach side.not really enough.you could install a new lintel but is it worth it for a decorative opening

If you don't need to enlarge it for a fire I'd leave well alone, there's a lot of weight in a chimney..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back