Widening chimney builders opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, this is my proposed plan.
plan.jpg

I'll be putting a 100x65mm lintel in across the horizontal line to give me a height of 1025mm (900mm when hearth is layed) and we would like a width of 900mm.

My worry is that I won't be able to remove the bricks on the inside of the opening, they seem structural. Could anyone confirm from these pictures that I'll be safe to remove the inside to the width above? FYI; the opening is currently 550mm wide, 670mm tall.

above.jpgleft-side.jpgleft-side-back-boiler.jpgright-side.jpg
(1) Above - (2) Left side - (3) Left side back boiler opening - (4) right side.

(This won't be used again for a real fire, fake (electric) log burner/heater)

Sponsored Links
Removing the arch and bricks will presumably removal some of the structural support for the flue bricks, the load has to be transferred somewhere which is what the new lintel should do. But the lintel looks to narrow for the breast/jambs so a W lintel either side going perpendicular to the external wall may be needed. All structural work to be approved by BC even though no woodburner.

Blup

Thanks blup, got a more experience builder coming round tomorrow to give me some advice and check it out for himself. Good shout on the building control (y)

I'll update how it goes, in case anyone has similar case in future, a lot of posts on here never seem to get an update on the final solution.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back