Widening existing roof dormer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a small flat roof dormer out the front of the house which I would like to widen by approx 1m. If it's relevant my next door neighbour has an identical property with a wider dormer.

Can anyone help me decipher the meaning if these permitted development rules below to see if this is acceptable .

A loft conversion for your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions:
  • A volume allowance of 40 cubic metres additional roof space for terraced houses*
  • A volume allowance of 50 cubic metres additional roof space for detached and semi-detached houses*
  • No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway
  • No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof
  • Materials to be similar in appearance to the existing house
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms
  • Side-facing windows to be obscure-glazed; any opening to be 1.7m above the floor
  • Roof extensions not to be permitted development in designated areas**(areas include national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites)
  • Roof extensions, apart from hip to gable ones, to be set back, as far as practicable, at least 20cm from the original eaves
  • The roof enlargement cannot overhang the outer face of the wall of the original house.
Cheers in advance

Scott

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191005-211356.png
    Screenshot_20191005-211356.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 427
  • Screenshot_20191005-211339.png
    Screenshot_20191005-211339.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 412
Sponsored Links
Any roof enlargement on a front-facing roof slope is not permitted development and needs planning permission.

Cheers for the prompt reply Tony. Is that because it is changing the appearance of the frint or because "No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway"?

Thanks

It's not so much the appearance as the fact of increasing the volume of the existing dormer.

Sponsored Links
You might still be able to do it of course, you would just need to apply for planning permission ( and obtain approval obviously ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back