Widening Fireplace Opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed a inset gas fire and the chimney sweep is coming next week. I want to install a stove and the existing opening is d17cm w44cm h70cm which seems quite small. There appears to be a gather in front with a metal lid on top, I though it had a small back boiler or something but it must be to control the fire as it's just a void inside.

The lintel appears to be a brick arch at 70cm, but I can also see something further up inside around 140cm but that seems quite high. Can I just remove the gather/infill as you can see the brick wall behind it to get the required depth then knock a brick out either side and then just put a new lintel in? There dosn't seem to be much supporting the sides apart from like a brick wall going half way up and then the breast wall further back which looks single skim.

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    369.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    487.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
If you use the diynot search facility & research what you are proposing you'll find that its necessary to have the stove Mfr's installation dimensions before doing any work.
Hopefully the chimney sweep is a HETAS who will sweep and smoke test the flue, and, at least, give you a heads up ref the stove installation?

So it is a brick arch lintel like I thought further up, wow this fireplace must of been huge originally. I presume I could safely make it back to the original size? but a 5kw stove would look lost in it. I think I will add a lintel further down and just extend the sides to my required width.

Attachments

• 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 50

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back