width of a lead roll for flashing on bay tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to buy a roll of lead for flashing on tiles under/above bay windows. what width shall i go for, 150, 180 or 210, and what grade, 3 (1.32) or 4 (1.80)? thanks!

Sponsored Links
LOL

Ive got more chance of giving you next weeks lottery numbers

Type of tiles, upstand dimensions, soakers and flashing or just an apron, vertical, pitched tiles are all relevant

:rolleyes:

if only i knew what to say. i am a complete dummy in this. i had someone who replaced old tiles (from the mid 30s) on the bay and he took away old lead bits and put some kind of a sticky tape on the top row of tiles under the window sill. the tape fell off in a couple of days. i contacted the man and he is going to put a proper lead flashing. he said i would need grade 3 150mm lead roll... however i want to have a second opinion... what's upstand and how do I measure it? i have marley concrete tiles. thanks!

Google " lead flashing ", click the images tab and find something that looks like your roof and post back

Sponsored Links
OK. You need Code 4 for flashing, and because these need to be done in sections with 100mm overlap, you might need more than 3m - so measure and allow for overlaps

The lead will need to be tucked under the cill and securely fixed. So while it looks like it will hang down 150mm, there will probably need to be another 50mm under the cill behind the tiles. So 200mm seems likely - I don't think it comes in 180mm widths but that might be too narrow

Make sure this guy fixes it properly or it will drop out. And then silicone seal between the cill and the lead

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back