wierd problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I called out to a house.

all sockets wired off one 32 amp fuse, originally a ring but it appears that a spur has been taken off at a point and feeds several others. now, the majority are fine, but 2 out of the eight in the kitchen, three of the four in the lounge, all of them in one bedroom and the landing one have no voltage difference between N and L, 240 between N and E and 240 between L and E, she said these sockets just stopped working this morning. these are all radial. its as if someone has swapped a conductor each of line and Earth in one of the radials. taken every socket off. compliant zs at working sockets, error zs on the wrong polarity ones. only been there and hour, will need to go back, any clues??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
because theres a load plugged in to one of the dudd sockets maybe.

More likely the outgoing neutral come out the last working, or neutrals problem in the first non working one rather than the cable broken though.
Being a radial should make it easier to find hopefully.

You did check all voltages after removing all loads from the circuit?

If neutral broken further down the line than the point you're testing at then you'll get 240v N-E.

i'll start with a continuity check on the neutral at all sockets then and see where it becomes discontinuous, thanks

I thought i had removed all loads from circuit, phoned customer, rthere is an ariel ampifier in the loft, thanks guys

check for...

new looking wallpaper..
new looking sockets..
bits of plaster on the carpets by sockets..

these are all signs that the sockets have come off the wall recently..

did you check polarity in the sockets?

link L-N at the board, see which pins bleep on continuity, link L-E, repeat, link N-E, repeat...

or do it the easy way with a "socket and see" plug in tester..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back