Wife wants a new kitchen but I'm skint!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need a new kitchen but I've been getting quotes from £4000 - £10000.....even the first is out of my budget. Then I heard about leaving the units in and just replacing the doors and worktops. Does anyone know if this works or works well? Would love your feedback

Sponsored Links
Search around,we found a company that just replaced the doors and plinths and work tops.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, I will. Already there seems a lot of companies online.

How much did you pay? I know not all kitchens are the same size

£3,500 but included in that was pelmet and cornice,+ 25 doors.they were recommended which is all you can go on really but you could go down the diy route but as Cylon says there maybe trouble getting your door and drawers level.

If the doors etc. Are all in reasonable condition then you could just paint them..

Sand then Prime with some Zinsser Bin and then paint in your choice of colour
Less than £100 if money is that tight

I have just redone my kitchen fairly cheaply. I wanted a handleless style one. I replaced my cabinet and draw-fronts (but left the actual cabinets in). I replaced the plinths under the cabinets, and replaced the worktops. However, my kitchen is very straight forward and fairly small. If you have anything like bendy corner units, you may need to modify the kitchen design as these can be hard to find and expensive.
I purchased 7 715mm x 595mm handleless, gloss white replacement doors (~£500), 1 fridge-freezer gloss white door (~£100), one 490mm double oven door (£60), 9m worth of replacement kick plinth (~£170), 3 new 595mm drawer fronts, and 9m of black gloss laminate ‘taurus worktop’ from wickes plus edgings (£275). I also used a modified deep cabinet door, turned 90 degrees as a new extractor fan cover (£80). With appropriate new fixtures and fittings (which I had to buy separately from Wickes and B&Q, as well as a new power drill (£25), and a few other cheap non-essentials,the kitchen came to just over £1260 altogether. It is however, a very nice quality finish and looks far more expensive.
Note, this does not include retiling (wall and floor), which I also did myself. For the wall tiles, I used some amazingly good value (85% off) large (300x300mm) white tiles (£16 for 2 big boxes) I found in the clearance section at Wickes, with a speckled black 300x300 one added in every so often (~£5 for 8 tiles, (also massively reduced). For the floor, I used 300mm by 600mm ‘riga’ beige porcelain floor tiles from wickes, which were expensive at £3.50 per tile (~140 tiles used).
My kitchen is fairly small. Due to my kitchen’s design, I was also lucky that I did not need any ‘tall’ or ‘base’ end panels. It took me four days (about 25 to 30 hours) to assemble.
The total New kitchen including the new cabinet and draw fronts, edgings, kick-plinths, worktops, wall, and floor tiles came to just under £1800
I used this ebay seller as my main source for the cabinet and drawer fronts:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HIGH-GLOS..._KitchenFurniture_EH&var=&hash=item19c9e039ae

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Tell the wife she can have anything she wants.........as long as she pays.

No money in the bank = no new kitchen. Simples!

Andy

yea totally agree with replacement option, aslong as the units are structurally sound (no rot etc).

Just start with the most cheapest but impactful cosmetic improvements (doors, handles, sealent etc) as this will make a huge difference, then you can focus on more expensive items such as worktops, tiling etc when you have the money.

Ive always said going for a brand new kitchen should be the last resort unless you have a tree in your back garden that sprouts £50 notes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back