Kitchen worktop refresh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

A friend has just moved into a flat that has a kitchen that is ‘tired’. Replacing the kitchen or even worktop is not an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I (as a diyer) could refresh the worktops? Vinyl looks a bit too thin, but is there anything similar available that is simple to install that might last a bit longer until a new kitchen is an option.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
£200 ish.

it’s a straight line 350cm x 60cm inc hob and sink.

thanks for the reply.

I have vinyled a worktop in a bathroom. Turned out well and lasted.
Wouldn't think it would be suitable in a kitchen from a wear perspective.

Would you be able to replace a worktop?
4M are available for less than £200 delivered.

If the doors are a flat finish, vinyl could be used.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply mcprinter.

replacing the worktop is possible I guess, but last resort really. Hob and sink are ok, would like to work roundthem if possible.

good to know that vinyly isn't really upto the job.

whole kitchen is beveled ~ doors and work top edge! but first priority is to get worktop hygienic and usable.

Thanks

kev

A new worktop is the best (only) answer. Vinyl will move and bubble with the heat from the hob and pans.
Does the worktop have splash back upstand or tiles at backside and wall ends?

Post a photo or 2.

You may find that a piece of 5mm plywood varnished works for a few weeks. Needs to be dried frequently, particularly the underside.

Second thoughts
As a quick, temporary and cheap fix you could give vinyl a try.
Remove the hob first if you can to get the vinyl under it. Have never removed one myself.
Silicon bead around the sink

Would recommend a random pattern to hide imperfections
I use this supplier quite regularly (work related) and good service

A partial pic of mine from a boiler related question on here.

Worktop would still be the best solution.

Attachments

• Boiler.jpg
    Boiler.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 28
Thanks for the link and pic mc printer.

I’m back off to the flat today to help with other things, so I will be able to have a closer look at the worktop.

Thaks foxhole, that’s an interesting idea! I’ll have a look today about being able to lift the hob.

great to have all these thoughts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back