working loads on kitchen cabinets for stone worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hoping to get someone to fit a stone worktop to some B&Q kitchen cabinet. No-one knows what the safe working load of the units is or if they will need strenthening, and if so how, has anyone had similar problems and overcome them ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It may depend on the type of carcase you are having and whether it has legs or the carcase sits down to the floor. A standard carcase of 18mm thickness will take a Granite worktop so I can't see you having a problem.

problem is the worktop is a breakfast bar (900mm deep) over hanging a 600mm deep unit that is perpendicular to the wall so as little support. The weight of the peice of stone is 125kg (20 st). I have thought of getting a freind to come with me to B&Q and sitting on one of their demonstartion units, but even then the unit is secured to the wall. Also I'm a born worrier.

Sponsored Links
The overhang of the stone should not be a problem because you have twice as much on the units as you do overhanging but you will have to ensure the base units are very securely fixed to the walls and I wouldn't just rely on the little 'L' shaped brackets a lot of kitchens come with. Get hold of some which are at least 50mm on each leg and fix to the wall with a minimum of two 3'' X 10 screws.You will also need to fix the stone worktop to the carcase in the same way using screws to suit the depth of carcase and stone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back