spontaneous crack in laminate worktop surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 2 months ago I brought a Wickes 3000mm laminate kitchen worktop. This has been sitting on a run of cabinets supporting its entire length, although not actually secured to them as I am still working on the kitchen. Yesterday I noticed a vertical split had suddenly appeared in the laminate on the profile edge of the worktop. (see picture).

Any suggestions as to how this may have occured. I am certain that this has not been caused by any sort of impact as I know that it hasn't been subject to any, and also I have experimented with a hammer and some off cuts from another worktop and it is impossible to split the laminate without leaving a large dent in the surface and there is no evidence of this around the split.

The only force that it hs been subjected to was when I lifted one end of the worktop by a couple of inches to remove some protective film from one of the cabinets.

I am hoping that Wickes will replace the worktop as I beieve that this has been caused by some kind of manufacturing defect. However, if they refuse what are my options for repairing the crack View media item 44454 [/img]

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back