Wifi DP Switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone suggest a safe and reliable wifi switch to replace a 20 Amp double pole switch for a 2.55kW electrical storage heater, on a dedicated circuit, protected by an 16Amp MCB? Due to space constraints, I would rather replace the dp switch than have to add an additional switch to the circuit. Many thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know if double pole wi-fi switches are available, but 20A switches are double pole.

This is handy for isolating a faulty appliance but not absolutely necessary for functional switching.

Is the heater solely on an off-peak supply or on a 24 hour supply which gets cheaper at certain times?

No, I was making the point that the heater is only controlled by a DP switch because 20A switches are DP - not because DP is necessary.

Sponsored Links
20A WiFi smart switches seem to be a 'thing', although it's not double pole (and as above, doesn't necessarily need to be).

...and some reviews aren't exactly complimentary (watch the size of your back box)!
Screenshot_20220905-191158_Chrome.jpg

I think I would prefer something more robust, that I could hide out of the way near the consumer unit.
Something along these lines perhaps?

Last edited:
Many thanks for your replies. The circuit is on an off-peak supply. I’m sometimes away for extended periods, so I want to be able to power the heater on and off remotely in the winter, depending on the weather forecast and to keep the place aired. Given that the dp isn’t necessary, I’ll probably go for one of the Amazon options.

Last edited:
The circuit is on an off-peak supply. I’m sometimes away for extended periods, so I want to be able to power the heater on and off remotely in the winter, depending on the weather forecast and to keep the place aired.
Not a tech-wiz but I wondered if it would lose functionality when the power is lost during the day every day.

Even if not, it will only work at night.

Given that the dp isn’t necessary, I’ll probably go for one of the Amazon options.
Not very good reviews - plus beware of the wiring instructions mentioned.

The storage heater is on an off-peak circuit.
I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem ideal to me, for a smart switch to be on an off-peak circuit.
I would be concerned that there may be WiFi connection issues, or device lock-ups, when it was powered up every day.

There is usually a setting to control the default behaviour after powerloss of a smartswitch. But again, this may be something that can't be relied upon, if the device is experiencing powerloss every day!

I would possibly look for a suitable smart relay, permanently powered from a different circuit?

wifi switch to replace a 20 Amp double pole switch
Wrong product.

The 20A switch remains at the heater for isolation.

For remote control, something like this: https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-pro-1/
installed at the consumer unit, connected to permanent power from the daytime supply so that it actually works, and switching the off peak circuit to the particular heater.
If more than one heater is required to be switched, that device can be used to control a larger contactor.
Other variants are available which include features such as power monitoring and multiple switched outputs.

Very good points. I never thought about the switch being powered off for most of the time (doh). That's why it's always worth seeking advice! So the best option is looking like moving the circuit to the main consumer unit and using a wifi mcb. I'm very grateful for all the advice. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back