Will 43cm x 27cm corner be ok when installing 2 x french windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a single storey, 3.6 m x 3.6 m outbuidling, with 10 , 4x2 joists running north / south.

I am looking to install two large (identical) sliding french windows in the north and east walls (i.e. - corner orientation, not on opposite walls).

I will put a lintel under the (north) load bearing wall, and am tempted to do the same under the non load bearing (east) wall.

Wondering whether the resulting "column" between the two new french windows, will be ok structure wise (i.e. strong enough). This column will be approx 43 cm x 43 cm on the outer surface (basically 2 x brick widths each side). The wall thinkness is approx 27cm. Will it be strong enough ?

The only foot traffic on the roof will be the occasional wander round for maintenance (and , maybe one day, re-roofing).

Will the "column" be strong enough ?

Sponsored Links
The remaining brick pier will be fine to take the vertical (gravity) load, but whether it would stand up to repeated opening and shutting of heavy glazed doors.........?

Hmm - interesting point. What would need to be done to strengthen things ?

[ Also I've now decided on 2.5 bricks each "width", so 50cm x 50cm (as opposed to 43x43). The construction is "typical" brick and block cavity wall, i.e. brick outer, aircrete block inner (with cavity) ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back