How many is too many roof windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure if anyone can help with my query. We are converting a 1960 barn. The room is 10 x 11 meters and will be completely open plan with a vaulted ceiling height of approx 6 meters at the apex. The roof pitch is 22.5 and is oriented east to west. There will be two patio sliders on both east and west walls and a gabled glazed north elevation. There will be a mezzanine at the back 3rd of the barn which is the only elevation without windows. Planning have allowed 6 roof windows but i am worried that so many will make the room too bright and let in too much heat. Is that a thing? Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Velux do remote control external anti heat blinds.
In my view its better to have the ability to shut the light out than not to have it at all.

As it happens I do have six velux windows in my SSE facing single storey extension which is around ten metres or so across. Yes it can get pretty warm in mid summer but we just pull the blinds down and run the ceiling fan. However they give quite a benefit in spring and autumn if the sun is shining because of the solar heating effect which often allows us to turn off the heating between 10 am andl 4pm so go for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back