Will a close coupled toilet/cistern fit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Looking to refurbish a manky old cloakroom and decided to do some investigation into what we currently have. So, I ripped away some wood panelling that was boxing in all the pipework.....and found a bit of an unexpected layout. (photos attached)

pipeworkA_before.jpg

pipeworkB_before.jpg

OK, so the first question is whether we could fit a close-coupled toilet pan/cistern around those pipes? My thinking is that it wouldn't work for two reasons:

1. The soil pipe couldn't be routed to the toilet because it approaches from the side.

2. The two other waste pipes (one comes from the kitchen and the other from the cloakroom sink) would be an obstruction to the toilet pan being closer to the wall.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Presumably, we might be better off buying a separate toilet pan and cistern to replace the current setup.

Sponsored Links
Not a bad idea, although the expense of those might rule it out.

Also, I agree that it will look great like that but this is such a tiny room that we're not really going for the WOW factor. Just a clean and tidy, functional installation.

If I can get a cistern and frame and toilet for £100 then I might go for it.

My thinking is that it wouldn't work for two reasons:

1. The soil pipe couldn't be routed to the toilet because it approaches from the side.
Not sure what you mean?
2. The two other waste pipes (one comes from the kitchen and the other from the cloakroom sink) would be an obstruction to the toilet pan being closer to the wall.
Looking at the lenght of the flushpipe already there, it may well be the case that you could board over those pipes right the way up to the height of a new c/c cistern (and possibly even higher to create a shelf) without the new pan/cistern sticking out any further into the room. This new false wall needn't be as deep as the last one as it hasn't got to cover that cistern. Think a tape measure and some dimensions from online catalogues will help prove or disprove this.

The advantage is being able to once again hide all that gubbings back there.

Sponsored Links
Not a bad idea, although the expense of those might rule it out.

Also, I agree that it will look great like that but this is such a tiny room that we're not really going for the WOW factor. Just a clean and tidy, functional installation.

Well, you can just build a bulkhead in front of all the pipes, then fit a £50 B&Q CC WC in front of that...................Job done, Simples!!!

Not sure what you mean?

The soil pipe approaches from the side and then bends around into the back of the toilet pan. I would imagine that a toilet pan pushed further back would prevent the bend being possible within the available space, so the soil pipe couldn't be connected.

However, a measuring tape and some dimensions would answer the question. I've got my eye on a suite but I haven't yet got the measurements.

Looking at the lenght of the flushpipe already there, it may well be the case that you could board over those pipes right the way up to the height of a new c/c cistern (and possibly even higher to create a shelf) without the new pan/cistern sticking out any further into the room. This new false wall needn't be as deep as the last one as it hasn't got to cover that cistern. Think a tape measure and some dimensions from online catalogues will help prove or disprove this.

The advantage is being able to once again hide all that gubbings back there.

I think I'm probably left with little option other than to create a false wall of some description. The reason for wanting to avoid that is because the current cistern and pipework is set into an 'alcove', above which is a small window. I don't think the false wall could create a usable shelf without looking stupid, or without reaching all the way up to the high window.

See here:

toiletalcove_before.jpg

windowalcove_before.jpg

Don't think so unless from fleabay.

Since this is probably where you will go

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1270307530801&isSearch=true

Think it includes concealed cistern too?

3 of these

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...efview=lister&ts=1270307782092&isSearch=false

1 of these

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1270308083111&isSearch=true

And some kind of board, whatever you fancy, for a top

Cost around £180 inc some plumbing fittings

Much better job tho to do as DeltaT suggested with a frame and wall mounted WC + other bits (plasterboard etc) for around £300

But B&Q (yes, I might shop there) don't have a CC WC for £50 do they?

Here's the suite I was looking at....on ebay

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back