Will a concrete plinth for tandoor oven crack with the heat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building a tandoor oven in the garden.

The basic design will look something like this crude diagram:

The part I'm not sure about is the 'concrete stand'.

I need to create a plinth or stand on which the clay pot can sit. The stand will be hollow and inside I'll put sand and fire bricks, onto which the charcoal will go. There will be a hole in the side of the stand for the air intake.

I could make it from bricks, but I think I'd have to spend time cutting them which won't be very accurate, so I thought I could make a mould and pour concrete into it to make the stand.

This would look something like the image below:

I'm concerned that the heat will cause the concrete to crack, or worse, crumble and fall apart.

Is this likely to happen? If so, is there anything I can add to the mix to make it more heat resistant?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, it will crack, you could use castable refractory. Google "pyromasse" - it's a site about masonry heaters but the construction methods would apply to what you are trying to do.

I have put steel bars in the base of my cob oven, its cracked but it will not fall apart

I put an old cast iron manhole cover in the base of my yog - pit . It roasts hedgehogs beautifully :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back