Will a gas hob ingnition cable work for a 7.4kw induction hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I expect the answer to be no but the install manual just focusses on the ability to withstand a temperature of 90 degrees or higher. The current cable for the old hob is hard wired to an isolator and on a dedicated 32a curcuit with the oven. Not changing the cable simplifies things greatly but I do not know of any clear way of assessing if the old cable is good enough? It's a three core 6/7mm butyl covered cable.

Sponsored Links
The measurement of wires(conductors or cores) is done in 'square millimetres of the cross-sectional are' of the copper so if your cable is 6mm. or 7mm. diameter then it is probably much too small.

For a 32A circuit you will need 4mm² 3 core flexible cable which, I think, has a diameter of around 11mm.

The measurement of wires(conductors or cores) is done in 'square millimetres of the cross-sectional are' of the copper so if your cable is 6mm. or 7mm. diameter then it is probably much too small.

For a 32A circuit you will need 4mm² 3 core flexible cable which, I think, has a diameter of around 11mm.
And I have a reel of 6mm2 T+E in the garage - great. Might be a bit tough to bend but I'll give it a shot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back