Will a new PCB fix this?

Sponsored Links
In most cases; we(all RGIs) are called in as the expert, employed by the home owner to repair the appliance. I'd say very few people would or be willing to try & repair it themselves. I know you get some clueless dafties on here & other forums, but I think they are in the very small minority.

We are trusted to repair it, to be honest & fair to the customer, in the vain hope one would get repeat business & build a good reputation.

If the OP doesn't trust the RGI he employed, then he's correct in trying to employ another. Too be fair to home owners, idiots like Joe-90 & others on forums like him, don't help with the customer/RGI relationships.

Advice to home owners; always employ the services of a bona fide company or sole trader, that is a member of several trade association, has a land-line phone number, sign written van, lives local to you & comes recommended to you by friends & family.

All that the OP has said indicates to me that he did NOT pay him and so ( quite rightly perhaps ) he mentioned the worst case scenario.

I always charge to diagnose faults!
Quite right. Diagnosing a fault like this can take a lot of time, effort, skill and experience.

Whereas actually fitting a PCB can be a 5 minute job requiring minimal skill in many cases.

You get what you pay for in most areas of life.

In most cases; we(all RGIs) are called in as the expert, employed by the home owner to repair the appliance. I'd say very few people would or be willing to try & repair it themselves. I know you get some clueless dafties on here & other forums, but I think they are in the very small minority.

We are trusted to repair it, to be honest & fair to the customer, in the vain hope one would get repeat business & build a good reputation.

If the OP doesn't trust the RGI he employed, then he's correct in trying to employ another. Too be fair to home owners, idiots like Joe-90 & others on forums like him, don't help with the customer/RGI relationships.

Advice to home owners; always employ the services of a bona fide company or sole trader, that is a member of several trade association, has a land-line phone number, sign written van, lives local to you & comes recommended to you by friends & family.

And make sure that he offers you a 'no fix no fee' deal (including parts such as a non-returnable PCB). Why should you pay someone to waste your time?

Sponsored Links

And make sure that he offers you a 'no fix no fee' deal (including parts such as a non-returnable PCB). Why should you pay someone to waste your time?

There we have it, another pearl of wisdom from the forum deadbeat & grease monkey.

Do you pay for someone NOT to fix your car? Well?

I've been to plenty of garages who took my money and failed to fix the problem with my Polo, which eventually turned out to be a faulty ECU.

I didn't begrudge paying their nominal charge, because I know they'd spent a lot of time checking other things which needed to be eliminated as a possible cause of it randomly cutting out, e.g. fuel pump and filter.

I'd have been much unhappier if they'd jumped to conclusions and said it was the ECU, charged me for one (£££) but the fault had turned out to be something cheap.

More fuel you then. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You can tell an ECU is playing up when you get a weak spark to 2 cylinders.

Doesn't take an expert to sort that one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back