Will a tree decide what garage I can build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm planning a new garage and have already got answers on trench foundations and drainage (thanks for those answers everyone), but now I have a bigger problem I could use some good advice on.

My preference is for a rendered block cavity walled structure, 6m x 6m, with a pitched tiled roof, insulated, DPC/DPM, etc. Because of size and location, this will need planning and BC approval, but I'm hoping I can come to them with a more or less solid plan first.

As there is a clay subsoil and "bedrock" (as seen in test digs and on Geological Survey maps), I was anticipating a 1-1.5m deep, 600mm wide trench foundation, with reinforcement and other precautions customary for clay soil.

That was until I realised that there is a naffing great Weeping Willow approximately 10 metres away (a neighbour's garden), standing a proud 8m tall.

So my question is this: am I better off considering a completely different structure (e.g., wooden garage on a raft foundation; pre-fab concrete on raft)?

I've read another article elsewhere on the horrors of building near Willows and frankly it made me go a bit weak at the knees when it discussed needing to drive piles into the ground. I only want a dry, warm garage, rather than the pre-cast favela shacks that pass for garages, but the potential cost of sinking piles into the ground (around £11K alone) would make it pointless.

As always, any thoughts, comments or criticisms gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Worst case scenario in high volume change potential soil, you are going to be looking at 2.25m footings at their deepest. This is based on the mature height of the tree. Of course, as the footings get further from the tree, you can reduce their depth.

If the soil is low volume change potential, then you might only be looking at 1.65 metres at their deepest, and then it becomes a lot more feasible.

Getting a soil analysis done might save you some money, or BC might know the local soil type.

Another thing to consider is whether the ground is level and whether the tree is higher or lower than your proposed garage location. This will also have a bearing on the foundation depth.

Interesting. The willow is on higher ground - 10m away with an estimated 3% gradient.

Building control here take the depth from the base of the tree, so if for example it is 500mm above the your ground level that will mean less digging for you.

Sponsored Links
3% over 10m will save you around 300mm of digging.
So in a low volume change soil your footings wouldn't be excessively deep.

Did I mention it is clay subsoil and clay "bedrock"? :)

Gotta love living in Essex....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back