Will an Electrician sign off photos of my trench cable run??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing outside cable run that feeds a power socket and light at the bottom of the garden.

I am getting rid of the socket and light but now need power in the shed I have recently built.

So....I dug down a small trench to find the old cable..carefully of course..and after isolating it.

It is twin and earth 19" down and in a 1.5 inch water tight plastic waste pipe. I have now extended the trench to reach the shed.

I intend to pull out the old cable and pull through the pipe some SWG I already have and then lay the SWG bare in the new 3m trench to the shed.

Then I will put some "Electrical Cable Under" warning tape 15cm above the bare swg and and fill in the trench. The cable is running under a patio and lawn.

The two ends of SWG I will leave for the electrician to wire up as required by regs.

I intend to photograph all this work to satisfy the electrician that the cable burying is sound.

1) Is the metod of burying the cable sound? The only issue I see is that unless I seal the end of the old exsisting pipe where the swg exits I guess water will eventually sit in he length of the pipe that the swg is in. Problem?
2) Will the electrician be happy with my photographic evidence?

I would leave the trench open and let the electrician inspect it all but I'm employing a sparky to do a much bigger job in later in the year and I cant leave the trench exposed for that long....plus the wife doesnt like the small mount Everest of earth in the back garden.

Cheers for any help/advice.

Rgds, Scott.

Sponsored Links
Personally I wouldnt mind doing it, it is at the correct depth and with warning tape. Is the SWA of the correct size for your requirements/load and over current protective device? Some hear may disagree and say they would have to physically see the cable to sign it off... :cool:

The cable is plenty big enough....from what I remember. I bought it ages ago and vaugely remember getting 'bigger than I needed'. If the sparky isnt happy with the cable size then that is my expensive mistake!

If photos aren't good enough I can do video and maybe 3D holograms at push ;)

Thanks, again.

2) best ask the electrician concerned.

we can not say yes or no, its up to each person

Sponsored Links
Hi Breezer. I realise its down to the individual but I wondered what you guys would think.

I will not fill in the trench if you had all said that none of you would have accepted it...

Know what I mean?

Thanks again folks. Appreciate it.

what size is the swa it should say it on the side of the cable usually. also what colour are the cores? i recon if bought ages ago it will be old colours and cannot now be used legally. :!: Also if someone digs the water pipe up if its blue then how will they know its power?

The Electrician should not sign it off.
However in real life some might do.
If you have already nominated your electrician then why not ask him to view the cable now before you fill it in and get his advice over routing/size/ducting etc?

Hi Breezer. I realise its down to the individual but I wondered what you guys would think.

not wishing to be pedantic, but it doesn't matter what "we" think does it? its up to the nominated electrican what he / she thinks

see what i mean?

The Electrician should not sign it off.
However in real life some might do.
If you have already nominated your electrician then why not ask him to view the cable now before you fill it in and get his advice over routing/size/ducting etc?

this forum can never give an answer as to the actions of another person

Take it one step further, you put it to the forum vote (poll) doesnt matter if the outcome is yes or no, its up to the electrician concerned.

You. "........but Mr electrician, you must sign it off, i had to fill in the trench, my Mrs didn't want a mountain of soil in the garden"

Or even

Alec "but i cant see how you filled it in, i cant see the ducting size, i cant see........"

You "here are some pictures"

Alec "not very good pictures, how do i know what you have done since? If this goes to court, i cant say i just looked at some pictures can I?"

You "but they said on diyNOT you would sign it off"

Alec "what's diyNOT?"

You "its a forum, and I asked on there"

Alec "so you asked a bunch of people you don't know, never met, never will meet, what I will do?"

You "yes, Mr electrcian, come back............"

"This was a breezer production,

You, was played by "scotster"

Alec, is the nominated Alec-Trician (electrician)

and now back to your normal programme"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back