Will NOT using Combi for hot water damage it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like the subject says.

The current situation is this:

We have a 2 year old Vaillant 837 combi. Good make, most people say. All cold water is mains fed, no tanks either hot or cold anywhere. Apart from some strange shower activity I'm happy. And the shower is due to be replaced so I'll make sure I get a combi friendly one, and maybe a pressure balancing valve.

But the planet is under stress. Me too. All my reading of solar DHW systems seems to say that they need a HW storage tank, really. And as far as using solar for CH that looks tricky, to say the least (and of course a bit nonsensical, if the sun's shining nice and bright you probably don't need to heat the house).

I see that DHW tanks are available with 2 coils. So if I used solar panels for one and the combi CH circuit for the other. Plus maybe an immersion would that work. With all the necessary controls obviously.

I'm imagining perhaps even 2 DHW circuits. Kitchen tap, hand basin taps from the Combi DHW bit, bath, shower, dishwasher, clothes washer from the tank.

I suppose there's no way of feeding water from a solar heated storage tank into the combi (no because it needs mains pressure, presumably).

Sorry it's all a bit longwinded. None of this is going to happen any time soon, but I'm in the middle of doing the bathroom, and am keen to at least prepare/alter any pipework in readiness before I seal the flour. For instance I'll be taking the pipework for the toilet to somewhere different in readiness for rainwater harvesting.

What was the question again? Oh yes, if I never use the DHW part of a combi, will it damage it?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
You have got a very good and expensive combi.

Even if you want to install a cylinder to be able to use solar assistance it would be best to still leave the combi DHW to feed say the kitchen.

What you are planning needs to be properly designed and would probably be beyond most CORGI registered people let alone a DIYer.

If any new cylinder was unvented they have to be installed by a qualified person and notified to Building Control.

Tony

if the question is can i use solar with a combi, then possibly, with a pre-heat cylinder..depends if your boiler is ok for that

A twin coil cylinder can be run off the heatng side of the combi using zone valves and a timer. The solar can then be fitted to the second coil.

I would keep the combi providing hw to kitchen taps and perhaps downstairs toilet? Then use the cylinder to provide baths / showers.

Sponsored Links
This combi is not suitable for accepting pre-heated solar HW from a cylinder, as in the Alpha solar smart system.

As the others have said, keep it seperate from the solar HW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back