Will "skimming" a rough concrete floor work??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, this isn't for a home, I'm installing a microbrewery in an industrial unit with a very rough concrete floor.

We need a very smooth concrete floor in order to make cleaning easy and to meet hygiene requirements.

The unit is rented and our budget is small so ripping up the floor is a no-no, as is laying a thick screed on top of the current floor.

The current floor is a fairly standard concrete floor that has been used and abused over the years and has plenty of divots and lumps in it.

I have been told by a friend with building experience that it is possible to "skim" the floor using a mix of cement and a plasticiser such as PVA to produce a flat, smooth floor that can stand heavy wear.

Is this really feasible? What kind of cement/PVA/water ratio should I be looking at? How much preperation will the floor need beforehand?

Any help would be much appreciated! There's beer in it if you give me really good advice ;P

Sponsored Links
It really depends on the depth of skim.
I would say that a thin layer would not bond to the existing floor for long.
It could be an idea to self level and paint.

We're talking mm here, maybe 10mm max. This is because there are external doors fitted which the brewery needs to be able to shift stuff in and out of on pallets. Also we have to return the building in the same condition, a 100mm thick concrete slab won't quite meet that criteria.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back