Advice on Laying concrete floor in my kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi im looking to replace my old original kitchen floor that currently has quarry tiles with a new concrete floor and looking for advice.

1. How thick should the concrete be? is 4 inch enough and no screed as im laying modern tiles?

2. What mix ratio to use? 3 ballast and 1 cement?
3. Also i was told to have a mesh concrete reinforcement is this necessary?

Obviously i will have a dpm under the concrete and i may insulate the floor.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
4" thickness of concrete is good. A screed is not necessary.
No mesh or re-bar is necessary in your kitchen.
Ready-mix barrowed in and pay for what you use is best. Although a recent poster on here quoted an outrageous price for a cubic metre or less in the poster's area.
My experience is to use ready-mix for a single, continuous pour. Check your local prices.
Always insulate under the slab and at the edges.
Mixed on site is a 1:2:3:ratio of cement:sand:stone. Try to have a mix somewhere between sloppy and semi-dry. Sloppy is bad.
Make sure the membrane runs up the walls and into any doorways.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. So will it be cheaper to have a ready mix truck dump the concrete straight on the kitchen floor than mixing on site? How much on average should i be paying in cubic feet or however they measure in?

I will be leaving the old skirting boards on to give us a guide when we fill it back up with concrete i will leave excess dpm all the way round the room and cut off the excess once the concrete is ready to walk on.

Ive heard by someone that if i get ready mix concrete the driver would normally pour the concrete and level it and float i for you, they basically do it for you. Has anyone experienced that?

Sponsored Links
I'm not saying it will be cheaper, the price varies by region. I dont know how much your local suppliers will charge.
What I am saying, is that having it delivered is much more suitable for a DIY'er, and almost a must for professionals.
Its usually the case that the membrane (DPM) runs up the back of the skirting.
All plaster up to say two courses above the FFL should be knocked off to bare brick.
Unless its a kitchen-diner kitchens dont take much skirting.
Some drivers will be more helpful than others.
What you describe sounds like a pay for service but you can ask on the day indicating that there's a few bob in it for them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back