Will there be a problem mounting a TV above a gas fire on the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I had a 'real' flame gas fire fitted a few years ago. They built a plasterboard housing for the fire.

original.jpg

I'm decorating my living room and would really like my TV on the wall above the fire so my plan is to remove the plasterboard, beef up the wooden frame to hold the extra weight, add an oak shelf across the bottom of the TV to (hopefully) deflect the heat.

tv.jpg

So... my question is, do you think a TV can cope with being above a fireplace like this? Have you seen similar designs and did it cause problems? And is there anything more I need to do to make it so it doesn't damage the TV?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Your TV should have an operating temperature range shown in its specification. I think usually they are somewhere in the region of 10 to 40 degrees C. [don't confuse this with the storage temperature range which will be different] Hang a thermometer roughly where you expect the screen to be (ie 10cm in front of the wall) use the fire as you would expect to use it and see if the temperature remains within the specification.

It's better for me, I've just started wearing varifocal specs, and if a TV is low down, when I'm in my fav recliner, I find that I'm looking at the screen through the reading bit and it's all fuzzy.;)...mind you I find most things are getting fuzzy these days :eek:...

Sponsored Links
Your TV should have an operating temperature range shown in its specification. I think usually they are somewhere in the region of 10 to 40 degrees C. [don't confuse this with the storage temperature range which will be different] Hang a thermometer roughly where you expect the screen to be (ie 10cm in front of the wall) use the fire as you would expect to use it and see if the temperature remains within the specification.

Thanks for the info Stem. That's a brilliant idea!! I won't have the shelf in place but I'll have a play about and see what sort of temperature it is above the fire. Thanks :)

Would it be comfortable sitting with your head tipped backwards to view the TV that high above the floor ?

Hi Bernard, I did think of that when I was messing about moving furniture and experimenting with where the TV would go. You're perfectly correct that it's a real consideration but I'm thinking I might just drop the fire down a bit. I'm going to need to remove all the plasterboard from that bit anyway in order to beef up the wooden frame so can get a gas plumber to disconnect and reconnect the fire a bit lower if needs be. Thanks again for your help :)

I assume any flue is behind the fire (as opposed to above it) If it is above, be careful not to damage it when fixing the TV / shelf.

Thanks Stem. The flue is behind and up a bit from the fire. But I'll certainly be careful. I've just ordered a cheap thermometer from Amazon so I'll check the temps over the weekend when it arrives.

I've looked at the TV that I like and you were correct that it operates up to 40C.

I've also check the strength of plasterboard and I didn't realise but it's stronger than I thought. It can hold around 18Kg!!!

The TV I want is around 19Kg but I won't be trusting the plasterboard anyway and will be making a very sturdy frame for it to screw in to.

Cheers :)

I've also check the strength of plasterboard and I didn't realise but it's stronger than I thought. It can hold around 18Kg!!!

The TV I want is around 19Kg but I won't be trusting the plasterboard anyway and will be making a very sturdy frame for it to screw in to.

Cheers :)

If you're using a bought bracket, it will use at least 4 fixings, thus reducing the loading significantly. And, you'll almost certainly catch a stud with a big tv with a wide bracket.

If you're using a bought bracket, it will use at least 4 fixings, thus reducing the loading significantly. And, you'll almost certainly catch a stud with a big tv with a wide bracket.

Thanks Charlie. I'm going to take off all the plasterboard anyway. My missus wants a nice oak shelf putting in across that fireplace (which will help divert the heat) so I'm going to strip off the plasterboard and beef up the wooden frame a bit. I'll also probably make it a bit wider (then get a bigger tele!! :whistle:).

My thermometer arrived yesterday so I measured the temperature last night and it's too much for a TV at the moment. It was reading around 45 Deg C. So, I'm also hoping that with a shelf put in it will be a lot cooler but may also need to section inside the chimney bit in order to reduce heat travelling up inside. However, will know more after I've done some more experimentation.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back