Will thermostat relay wire into a APT timer?

Sponsored Links
Yes flameport I know that. I managed to get Into the house and open the timer switch. It was tight tho so could not get the best of photos

Attachments

• 20220827_084527.jpg
    20220827_084527.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 45
Hi fitzeykev,
I am trying to replace my apt timer with a Netatmo thermostat. Did you succeed? How?
Thanks

I would suggest you start your own thread, I have just re-read what has been said, and note the boiler has ebus, this is a problem as not all ebus systems are the same.

There is OpenTherm which does work on many boilers, but the whole idea today is each room is controlled with TRV's then the TRV's control the boiler either with return water or by linking into some sort of hub.

The problem is this costs, and what point does one say not worth it.

Sponsored Links
Hi sennajc. Yes I got my netatmo thermostat towork with my apt timer. Well when I said I did my father actually did. I am not sure how. He had to buy some extra parts. But all through the winter my house was really warm. And the thermostat saved me just burning through the oil

I tried looking up how the new thermostat is wired, this 1690787838966.png
was the only instructions I could find as to how it connects to boiler. There was a
youtube video. And it showed a connection lead which plugs into the relay box, however another video shows a two wire connection 1690788502741.png it seems powered from batteries. It does seem there is also a modulating version, as well, but all I can find seems to show it controls heating only, nothing for the domestic hot water (DHW) and with an oil boiler it seems likely the thermostat needs to control a motorised valve then the valve controls the boiler.

As said better to start your own thread, as too easy to make mistakes with a general answer.

In the main to improve control for central heating the TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) is at the heart of the system, with a gas modulating boiler they can work mainly by the temperature of the return water controlling boiler output, however with an on/off oil system that does not really work, as I have found out the hard way when I tried to copy what I had done with my late mothers gas boiler system with my oil fired boiler.

The problem is the TRV will not start/stop the boiler, so you need some type of hub to turn on the boiler should any TRV head demand heat, my bedroom TRV may open at 9 pm to warm bedroom, but unless the boiler is running, it will do nothing. Some thermostats act as a hub, unfortunately my Nest Gen 3 does not, it has all clever algorithms but really I could not care less what temperature the hall is, I want to control all the other rooms.

The result is a very simple bi-metal strip thermostat would likely do a better job. My main problem is I want to control DHW and CH and power the thermostat with two wires, and Nest Gen 3 will do that.

But that's my problem, we really have no idea what your problem is. No idea what type of boiler you have, or what type of TRV's you are using, so start a thread giving your problems and asking how to over come them, then maybe you will get some helpful answers.

My relay wired directly into the gas boiler that it was bought for originally in a house I rented. We bought a house and it was oil and my dad adapted it so it could be used with oil. I am not sure exactly how. I will take phots this evening when I get home from work to and send them to you and I will also ask my dad how it's done. You are trying to get it to work with oil boiler right?

so this is what my dad has done to get it working with oil boiler. I don't know if this helps. I still need to speak to him to ask what he has done exactly but someone on here might be able to tell from the photo.

Attachments

• 20230731_201007.jpg
    20230731_201007.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 23

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back