Will this seal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning. I have this connection to make, between 35mm copper pipe and a big Grundfos pump. The official Grundfos connector is this iron 1/14 bsp female. The brass adapter I've got screws in, too tight to do by hand but smoothly with a spanner. There's no mating face though, and it's a parallel thread. Will it seal, do you think, in a heating system, and if so what sealant would you use? Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
Wrap a few layers of PTFE tape around the brass thread, before assembling, wind the tape on, evenly and in the same direction as you will be screwing the fitting on. It should need spanners to assemble, but not be too tight with the PTFE in place.

Sponsored Links
Parallel threads are not designed to seal via the thread, but by the face of the male part compressing on a seal at the base on the female part. You might be able to make them seal by using compound but it's a botch.

A tapered male fitted into a parallel socket or a parallel male fitted into a tapered socket is also a botch.

Parallel threads are not designed to seal via the thread, but by the face of the male part compressing on a seal at the base on the female part.
Exactly! But this is the Grundfos part and it's the same on their website. There is a perfect mating face on the other end, but not this one. I have an enquiry in with them, I'm expecting them now to confirm that modern sealants do seal it.

Grundfos did reply, and indeed they said it seals in the threads with a sealant or ptfe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back