Shower mixer manifold - BSP's!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all very helpful people! :)

I've bought this manifold recently and has 3/4" BSP female outlets on each connection.
It will be installed horizontally.

I purchased 3 off 3/4" x 22mm Elbows to fit into the side outlets and the inlet at the top (the HOT connection). I also fitted a straight connector on the bottom connection (COLD).

Now, here's the issue I have. I want the elbows to point downwards.
Also, obviously I want the thread to seal, being only BSPP threads and not BSPT.

I tried to wrap enough PTFE tape around the threads so that it became tight when I got to the position I wanted. It's not really working, as I want the threads to be tighter than it as, however, the tape just gets stripped off of the male connector (due to the thickness of the tape).

As you will also see, there is no seal face to install a fibre seal inside. I did however think about using a 0-ring between the face of the connector and the outlet edge, but knowing that o-rings can crack over time.

How would you suggest this?

Picture177.jpg

Picture178.jpg

Picture179.jpg

Oh and whilst I've wrote a thread, how would you block off this Soil pipe, as I'm going to be moving the toilet to the right of that 15mm water pipe. The soil pipe manufacturer is Terrian. I can't see any solvent cement, but guess it will be that rather than a push fit, as it's stuck tight! :cry: :cry:

Picture180.jpg

Sponsored Links
Wind the PTFE on the thread to form a taper.

Cut out the old section of 110mm and redo.

Many thanks for the reply. :)

The tape tended to bind up as I wound it in anyway. It's just that I've never used a BSP for sealing - it's either been a taper thread or compression fitting. As this will be behind the tiles, I'll always have it on the back of my mind of it leaking. :confused:

Any recommendation to use a joining compound, or even Loctite 55 (or equivelant) as I was suggested to use before. Would that not react with the tape??

As for the soil pipe, I have a new branch to connect the new toilet to, but didn't want to touch the waste pipe from the bath. But as you suggested, it's possibily more easier to cut the waste pipe and add a length of pipe into the new Branch. I've got an adapter to fit into the end anyway.

Just plain PTFE tape on its own. Wind as a taper on the male thread and it will work fine - just a case of judging the correct amount of tape. Since the whole lot will be tiled over I would suggest you test for water leaks before tiling.

Sponsored Links
Much simpler to use straight male iron to copper compression connectors and then a male x female soldered copper bend. You can then fully tighten the compression connectors and then orientate the MxF bends as you please.

I'll give it a go! Yes, I will certainly be pressure testing the lines before I go anywhere near tiling / plastering. I've got to check out my solder joints! :cool:

Its just the long term that I'm thinking about.

Chris, thanks for your input. That was the way I was thinking about doing it initially, but by the time the straight connector is fitted, then an elbow, it exceeded the width between the plasterboard joists. :cry: :cry:

Thats when I thought I'd be smarter using the compression elbows..........! :mad: :mad:

rocky_robin said:
..by the time the straight connector is fitted, then an elbow, it exceeded the width between the plasterboard joists.
Even with male/female elbows? They take up significantly less space than the usual female/female elbows. It's even worth cutting notches into the studs to avoid compression elbows.

Arrrrgggg!!!! I just had a look in the Screwfix catalogue and found that elbows that you were on about. Nightmare that I never noticed them earlier. :( :cry: :cry:

Oh well, does anyone want some cheap compression elbows????? :mad: :mad:

Thanks for the help Chris! :D Top man. (It shows that it's more difficult when you are learning stuff at the same time as doing the job!)

Hemp was outlawed years ago.

I'd be very careful of using male/female copper elbows (street elbows). Often the male part of the elbow is poorly stamped out and even with plenty of sealing compound they will leak on a compression fitting. Often only noticable after several weeks.

Soggy_weetabix said:
A Hemp 'washer' works well.

Dave
you outlaw, you :LOL: FFS it may grow some bacteria...and the Nanny State wants you to be safe in your home when you can get mugged outside :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: The Plumber is dead.......long live the Corgi :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back