Sealing BSP fitting on Bath / Shower Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a flush fitting Grohe three way shower bath thermostatic valve unit - this has five ports on it two in and three out and is installed into a cut out in the wall.

There are two inputs one Hot and one Cold and three outputs at the thermo set temperature two shower heads and one bath fill.

I need to put in five 1/2" to 15 mm elbows (i dont have room for a straight adaptor and a separate elbow) and these 15mm compression connections need to face the back of the unit. These elbows screw into 1/2" female bosses on the valve unit. I am sure these are parallel 1/2" BSP and not tapered BSP fittings.

HOW do i ensure that these elbows are water tight AND line up facing the rear of the unit so i can plumb it in???

Two of the elbows line up quite well and very tight with a sensible amount of PTFE tape wound on the threads but the others bottom out well before the 15mm entry is anywhere near lined up in the required position - some are almost 270 degrees or 3/4 of a turn out.

Do i just wind on lots of PTFE Tape and line up the fitting as needed even though they dont feel 'tight' and hope that they are water tight OR is there another better sensible solution.

This unit is connected to good cold mains water pressure and the hot water comes from a WB Combi boiler also with good water pressure.

thanks in anticipation

kindest regards

David

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back