William Hill does not lose licence

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
Amazing how they discovered they could pull their socks up.

"The regulator issued three fines against separate parts of William Hill, which is owned by online gaming group 888: £12.5mn for William Hill’s online operation, £3.7mn for sister site Mr Green and £3mn for the division behind William Hill’s 1,344 betting shops.

In one compliance failing uncovered by the commission, a new customer was allowed to spend £23,000 in 20 minutes without any checks. In another example, a betting shop customer lost £54,252 over four weeks without the operator carrying out adequate financial checks.

The commission flagged multiple examples of weak anti-money laundering checks on the Mr Green site and at William Hill’s betting shops, including one instance in which “source of funds” evidence was never requested from a customer who bet £276,942 and lost £24,395 over two months.

The combined fines top the previous record £17mn penalty levelled against Ladbrokes owner Entain in August last year. The Gambling Commission has meted out £76mn worth of fines since the start of 2022 relating to 26 enforcement cases."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
People who want to take heroin....

So you don't think suppliers in the trade, and advertisers, have any responsibility?

Sponsored Links
Did the customer get his money back, that would concentrate minds.

Blup

People who want to take heroin....

So you don't think suppliers in the trade, and advertisers, have any responsibility?
is taking heroine legal and harmless? The issue is too much advertising and not enough regulation to protect vulnerable people.

Which government relaxed gambling regulations?

Taking heroin and an 'addiction' to gambling are not a similar problem cut from the same cloth. A pair of campaigners were on the BeeB to promote their assertion that gambling is an addiction. Nonsense.
They highlighted an instance where a chap threw away £23,000 in 20 minutes trying to make his money back - that's just bloody stupid.
God only knows why anyone would take heed of Ray Winstone in those adverts. He sounds like a dodgy geezer at the pub, like George Cole in one of those 50s films where he scarpers as soon as he owes any money.

is taking heroine legal and harmless? The issue is too much advertising and not enough regulation to protect vulnerable people.

Article from 2012, has any subsequent government changed the regulations?

People want to gamble than best they accept responsibility for there actions

No one forces them gamble

Even motorbiking agrees that

not enough regulation to protect vulnerable people.

We know better than to expect people to act for the public good when they are making money from the trade in cigarettes, whisky, heroin, gambling or tetraethyl lead. All harmful.

The cat is out of the bag. the 2005 Gambling Act was a disaster. At the time, I had no opinion as I don't gamble. But I could not help noticing the mass advert campaigns and huge growth of high street betting. It's going to take a while to clean up and wont be easy since it fuelled the off-shoring of gaming firms who can hook their punters from low regulations states who don't care. At least the Tories introduced legislation to cap them and bring them under control from a tax perspective. I don't really understand why Labour thought it was necessary to encourage gambling on the scale they did. Why would a party claiming to represent the poor and working people encourage them to lose their shirt, to a multi-billion £ low tax industry? It sounds like something @JohnD would blame on the Tories. No doubt he will be along shortly to accuse Tories of milking the industry. But the fact is, even old-new-old-labour think it was a mistake.

Last edited:

Old hat and has been dealt with (2018 FOBT,s).
Next...

So pleased I don't have an addictive personality. Even as a youngster when we used to go into the local arcade, I used to head straight for the video games e.g. driving simulators etc, was never interested in the slots.

Thing with gambling is, if it was banned it would simply move underground and cause individuals even more mayhem. And even with stricter controls in place, if someone is intent on spending lots of money gambling, they'll find ways to do it.

The government gets to take tax from the bookies AND now also gets multi-million pound fines too.

The country would have a huge black hole in its finances if these sharks weren't able to prey on the vulnerable. It's one of the few successful industries that are left in this dive of a country.

They're paying lots in tax and fines and, unlike tobacco, don't create that much expense for the government.

If the government cared about the people the industry wouldn't exist. So draw your own conclusions.

A while ago I was involved in a legal case against a company where their procurement officer had fraudulently diverted purchase orders to fund his multi-million £ gambling habbit. He turned double digit millions in to < 20p in the £ and lost the lot. He ended up in prison. That is one example, but up and down the country there are people/companies who've been the victims of crime as a result of gambling addictions.

Sponsored Links
Back