Wilo Gold 50 getting hot and not pumping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had the Wilo Gold 50 pump fitted about 7 years ago and it's worked fine, until Saturday. The heating came on as usual and went off when programmed to. As it was cold I switched it back on again but the pump wouldn't start. I had to go out so left the boiler switched off. Came home to find it had started as normal at its programmed time and the pump was running.

Yesterday morning the boiler came on again and the pump worked fine. It went off when programmed to and I manually switched the boiler on and again everything was running.

This morning, boiler started and pump worked fine. I've just been to manually switch it on again after it's programmed time finished and the pump won't work again. The boiler is firing but water isn't circulating, also the pump is very hot.

Do I need a new pump ? Should the pump get hot ?

Sponsored Links
If the pump fails to start then you have to check 1st that it has power to it,and that it has just not begun to sieze up.A 7 yr old Wilo has maybe come to the end,and may be time for a new pump.Only after removing it will you be able to confirm this.Pumps normally run hot,after all they are carrying water at maybe 80*C.If the pump has become noisier then replace it.Go for a Grundfos.

Thanks for getting back to me. I've just hit the pump on the end and it's started working, so looks like there is a fault somewhere.

Plumber is coming round tomorrow night, but will ask for a Grundfos if a replacement is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back