Wilo pump comparison?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the Wilo Smart A 25 a suitable replacement for the Wilo Gold 50?

It was sold to me as such because the Gold 50 was unavailable/discontinued.

I can't find any comparison specs and was wondering if this could be the root of my noise problem - see the thread 'Boiler noise is back'

Sponsored Links
Why didnt you spend a few extra quid and get a Grundfoss instead of swapping one pile of shoite for another ?

The system is 25 years old, over the years it's had 2 replacement pumps, the original Grundfos (@10 years) Wilo (another 10 years) another Wilo that needed a new capacitor @ 4 years, so Wilo have seemed pretty fair in comparison with Grundfoss.
The wilo gold 50 I've just replaced is Ok apart from the speed switch which has 'disassembled' itself.

I'm not convinced the smart 25 is a fair substitute - the body is slimmer, and the whole thing seems less substantial - hence the question on specs.

I've put the Fernox silencer in - it's a bit quieter, I'll see how it goes over the next few days.

Thanks for the thought/opinions.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE:-
So, after a month where the noise is slightly less, but still too much I eventually found the comparative specs for the 2 wilo pumps, and as I suspected, the max flow rate of the Smart A25 is 2.75 cu mtr/hr, while the Gold RS50 it supposedly replaces has a max flow rate of 3.2cu mt/hr.

The impeller on the smart is also only 58mm dia against the 70mm of the RS50

I believe it's something to do with EU energy saving requirements, but that's a whole other rant.

Anyway I cannibalised the speed switch from another (scrounged) dead RS 50 and the original pump is back on and running smooth and quietly.

I suppose the moral of the story is to always check the specs and don't always believe someone who's trying to sell you something . . .

A

Luddite!

The whole idea of the smart pump is to save energy ( which YOU have to pay for! ).

In the constant pressure mode ( normal use ) they should give a quieter system!

In spite of what ian has said there are some problems with the Grundfos UPS2 pump as it takes a high inrush current which can damage time clocks etc. They have introduced a resistive lead as a temporary measure and have ( or will ) modify the design to prevent the problem.

Tony

Keep up Tony, the bodge lead was last year, they've now got an improved circuit board on them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back