wimpey build central heating flexible pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , i just removed a radiator in my sons wimpey house , & was surprised to find the pipe that runs through the wall to the radiator valves is a flexible hose , does anyone know what pipe / valves they use & how the pipes are sealed to the valves,
thanks in advance ,

Sponsored Links
As Dan says, a photo may help.

It will probably be either Speedfit or Hep2o, newer Taylor Wimpey houses should have Hep2o installed, some of the older ones had a dual specification and could be either Hep2o or Speedfit.

Have a look under the sink, basin etc to see if any fittings are visible this should enable us to identify which is installed.

As for the radiator valves, if there are no visible markings then post a photo.

i took a couple of photos before the radiator was put back up , they are not great due to the valve coming away from the wall only about 1/2 inch , looking down the wall the pipe looks as if it just pushes onto the back of the valve , but hard to see without dismantling it , i just took rad off to flush through so didn't want to dismantle the valves , but may put a bigger 1 at a later date, that's why i'm wondering what pipes were used .

Attachments

• 20181214_153529.jpg
    20181214_153529.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 334
  • 20181214_153553.jpg
    20181214_153553.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 362
Sponsored Links
i meant to say ,f you look at the photo where the pipe sticks out there is some kind of compression fitting which must keep the pipe attached to valve

thanks to everyone for your reply's , i don't think i'll be able to put a double rad in place of the single ,
the pipe doesn't come out far enough ,would need to add a bit of pipe which i think would be awkward without damaging the wall ,

As Dan says, your photos are terrible and not in the least bit helpful, but can confirm that housebashers do use this flexible plastic pipe. It's cheaper and takes less skill to install, so they can use cheap labour to throw it in and make bigger profits. New builds aren't designed to last a long time, they're designed to be thrown up at the fastest possible rate and the lowest possible cost and quality. If they fall down in 12 years time, fine, the housebuilder is outside their warranty period and so doesn't really care.

will i have problems changing single rad to double , i'm thinking about distance from wall to centre valve hole being different , which makes of rads are slimmer ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back