Winding Stair Tread Split & Replace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a winding stair tread (middle position) which is split all the way across. It is set into the stringer on the right/rear and the post on the left. Beyond that I don't know.

I could get underneath the step and reinforce & resin fill if I rip some plasterboard off but would prefer not to do that if possible.

Can I potentially multi-tool this piece out, then baton all the way round and replace with a new piece cut to slot on top? I have no idea how it might be fixed underneath so not sure if this will work.

Any thoughts welcome - thanks!

IMG_8358.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi Siderealxxx. I had a similar issue. It was a bit of a mission, but I squeezed into the far reaches of our understair cupboard and using a well-known 'turbo' grab adhesive, I glued a large piece of 18mm OSB to the underside of the broken tread. I supported this with a piece of 4x2 which was cut to fit between the OSB and the concrete floor. Finally I countersunk and screwed from above in a grid pattern using 4x30mm screws.
Any other issues with stairs, just let me know. I've become a reluctant expert.

Thanks for the reply! Yeh I could do something like this but it would involve ripping out a plasterboard panel under the stairs which I wanted to avoid if possible.

I have a spare tread which I ordered and would like to make use of if possible. I was hoping to cut the existing tread out with multi-tool and/or jigsaw, then baton onto the stringer and anything else strong enough, then cut the new tread to fit on top.

But I have no idea if the old tread is going come out as easily as I might hope, let alone then having enough structural material underneath to affix batons to. It's a slippery slope if it goes wrong........!

Hmm... The tricky thing will be fixing it securely enough. The existing one will be attached to the base of the riser above it, as well as being jointed into the stringer at both ends.
Obviously you can't just lay the new one on top, as this will change the step height and possibly cause a trip, as even a slight difference in step height can throw you off your stride.
Sorry, but I think you're going to have to remove the plasterboard panel.
Can you replace this panel with MDF sheet?
Anyone else got a way around this?

Sponsored Links
Yeh you're probably right, it could cause too much un-do-able destruction trying to remove that piece. And raising the height will be a trip hazard as you say.

I can remove the plasterboard, might equally cause a fair bit of mess in the process, not to mention putting it back together. But not impossible.

On that basis I would PVA and screw a supporting board underneath and fill the top crack with resin. That will be pretty strong all in all.

I wouldn't mind but I've only just moved in and got a million jobs to do :rolleyes: thanks!

Good luck! You can sometimes mitigate the damage at the edge of a board by scoring deeply with a Stanley knife... You'll get there!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back