Window above internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a good reason why my builders boarded up my internal window? We had a kitchen extension done and when they plastered the ceiling around the pipes for the extractor fan and waste, they actually lowered the whole ceiling by several inches:(

This meant that the ceiling could be seen through the glass window above the kitchen door entrance from the hallway.

I wanted to fit a smaller piece of glass so I wouldn't lose light from the kitchen coming into the hallway, but they said that wasn't allowed for building regs reasons...

Would appreciate any help or advice on this matter.

Thanks.
p.s. Is it possible to post pictures?

Sponsored Links
maybe the builders thought the job too tricky or expensive. there may be toughened glass issues, though unlikely.

a 'fanlight' on top of a doorway is there to borrow light and admit that light into gloomy halls or landings. rather old fashioned nowadays, but fairly effective.

there is a chance a cut-down version would have looked rather squat though, with the ceiling being lowered and all.

maybe?

I think you're right, they definitely wanted an easier life.

They said it would be against building regulations and have boarded it up and plastered over it. Have you ever heard of such a thing?

I'd rather have a squat window than no window. Aren't fanlights for external doors? Ours is the one from the hallway into the kitchen and is/was rectangular.

diva636 said:
Aren't fanlights for external doors? Ours is the one from the hallway into the kitchen and is/was rectangular.

possibly, though i was generalizing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back