Window Bay Movement/Re-building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got a defect with my bay window and getting conflicting advice from builders and window fitters on how best to remedy it.

The problem is; I've got a 1930's double-bay (3-section) fronted semi. The upstairs bay has some cracks in the mortar where it joins the rest of the building on both sides. This upstairs bay seems to be bearing down on the ground floor window which has caused some deformation of the window.

Basically, I've been given two different solutions - one is to replace the windows with some containing structural support within the frame (like mini-acro props) and just re-point the cracks in the bay. The other option suggested by some has been to knock-down the upstairs bay, install steels at the head of the ground floor window and re-build the upstairs bay onto the steels.

I've not had any actual quotes back yet, but I'm assuming option 2 will be far more expensive. We have lots of other work to do, so hoping to keep spend to a minimum and we won't be living there too long either - but still want to do the right thing.

Appreciate any help/experience/advice in advance.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Sponsored Links
Sound extreme removing the top bay, remains to be seen though.

Google bay poles.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back