Window Condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

One of my pet hates is window condensation on a morning. Last year we had our old uPVC windows replaced with A rated windows which I hoped would help solve the problem. This hasn't been the case, speaking with the window fitter they've suggested it now might be even slightly worse as the windows allow less drafts through than the previous units.

Apart from leaving windows open which kind of defeats the object of A rated windows can anyone offer any sensible suggestions of how to reduce the condensation on the windows during winter months?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Did you have trickle vents installed in the new windows?

Apart from leaving windows open which kind of defeats the object of A rated windows can anyone offer any sensible suggestions of how to reduce the condensation on the windows during winter months?

You either have trickle vents fitted or leave the windows on the night latch overnight. You cannot achieve your Utopian Vision of a completely sealed up house and no ventilation unless you stop breathing.

As the windows came from a small fitter it was one style of window or nothing, the windows fitted don't have the trickle vents in.

Think i might just pull the house down and start again, get myself a ground source heat put and heat recovery system which might help with the ventilation. However the neighbours might not be happy :)

Sponsored Links
As a window fitter personally I hate trickle vents. Noisy, drafty little dirt traps.

You need to reduce the moisture in your house. I have compiled a few links on condensation on an old forum here:
http://www.double-glazing-forum.com/topics.aspx?ID=34

There are a few extra links there to read too.
Biggest no no is drying clothes on radiators and indoor plants.

A dehumidifier is a good idea if you wont/cant change the causes of the moisture in the air.

Did you have trickle vents installed in the new windows?
I thought it was compulsory now to have trickle vents fitted, on all new windows.
Edit found this

Trickle vents have never been required by Approved Document F of the Building Regulations. They are just one way of providing the basic background ventilation that is required, but permanent vents in walls are a better option, with the necessary mechanical extraction in bathrooms and kitchens.

The current Building Regulation defines the required amount of “whole house” ventilation, while in the Nineties it referred to individual rooms. But the net amount is basically the same — about 8000 sq mm for a living room, achievable with a 75mm x 225mm plastic wall vent with a screened cowl externally and a hit-and-miss sliding cover internally.

& this
http://www.partf.co.uk/news/adf_update27.htm

Trickle vents are only required in replacement windows where there was one fitted in the old window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back