window draught issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I think I have window draught problem on my bedroom window as I can feel wind blow to my face at night during sleep. I took a video of the issue and send it to the developer, but they are so useless and reply by saying that is a general air movement casued by temperature difference on two side of the window.

Could anyone here has a look at the video I took below and let me know if it is a draught? if so, how i can strike back to the developer? Thanks.

http://youtu.be/OtFrTO6Vm08

Sponsored Links
Can't see anything in the video as it is too close up giving no context.

I would say that is a draught, but where it may be coming from is important.

Some pictures of the window from several feet away would help, also showing where it was you filmed the window.

Sponsored Links
Can't see anything in the video as it is too close up giving no context.

I would say that is a draught, but where it may be coming from is important.

Some pictures of the window from several feet away would help, also showing where it was you filmed the window.

Hi AronSearle, thx for your reply. The window is ceiling to floor fixed panel window. So it should not have any gap at all. As you can see in the video, when smoke moved normally upward when on other side of the window, but when close to the window edge, it was pushed down by air.

I am away from home at the moment, can post some pictures next week.

But if that is a draught, could you give me some ideas how to prove it to developer? and i am want to fix it myself, what can i do, would silicon-based sealant help?

there certainly appears to be a draught in the corner, but I can't see the layout of the room. Try again when not dark outside, and standing further back.

It looks to me like a square bay with a badly sealed join.

For today, run some wide tape over the join and see if that cures it (or use cling film, which will not leave adhesive traces)

Not saying it is but it could easily be convection or convective looping.

Convection occurs when warm air rises and then gives up its heat to the cooler glass and sinks toward the floor. This movement sucks new, warmer air toward the glass that is in turn cooled, creating a draft.

What you are actually experiencing is the process of warm air forcing colder air to move due to differing density properties. Heated air circulates through the home. When it reaches window glass it effectively pushes the existing cold air off the glass.

Convection is actually proof that your windows are energy efficient and working well.

which way is "up" in the vid?

Are we looking at a black wall, or glass?

What is the white thing at the top?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back