uPVC Window - Draught/Fitting Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I had new uPVC tilt and turn windows installed around four years ago - had quite a few problems but hopefully this will be the final one: one of the bedroom windows has a slight draught coming from along the top of the window. If I push or pull the window (grabbing it from the top) I can detect a slight movement suggesting that it isn't closing tightly enough against the frame - all other sides seem to be OK. Apart from this, the window works as expected.

I've checked the orientation of the (eccentric?) cams and the location of each corresponding frame latch (using the window in my other bedroom as a guide) and everything seems to match. I've tried repositioning the top latch and changing the cam orientation just to see if it has any effect but I still don't get a tight fit!

So, am I missing something with regard to the cam adjustment or could there be other factors that could cause this problem?

Would be very grateful for anyone’s insight/suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Hmmm are the keeps fixed or adjustable themselves? Is the keep positioned so the cam goes all the way into it and not just catch the first 1/4"?

The keeps (I assume that's the latch as I call it?) are adjustable - they just slot into the plastic frame and then fixed into position with a screw. I've checked the measurements against the (good) window in the other bedroom (both windows are the same size) and they match, however I did try moving the latch around 1 cm closer to the handle side of the frame but this didn't make any difference. Maybe I'll try moving it some more tomorrow.

Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored Links
Well, I think I've fixed it!!! I noticed that the keep was sitting at a slight angle so I placed some thin strips of card under one side to level it and hey presto, the window closes tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back