window fault on rover 216

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when my drivers window closes it jumps out of the window guide rubber on the way up.It also seems to be crooked cos it doesnt sit in the rubber--there is a small gap. looked in my haynes but its not very helpful. Can anyone offer any advice/hints for fixing?? :(

Sponsored Links
If this is an older 216 like my wife's (L reg) the problem with the windows is that the internal skin had been flexing and pulled the mounting bolts through. This had distorted everything (maybe why yours is coming out of the runner) and with the help of grime that had built up on the runners had seized the whole thing up. I took out the interior trim panel and unbolted the winder mechanism (10mm bolts) then cleaned the guides with soapy water and reassembled using penny washers to reinforce the mounting holes which needed flatening out after being mangled. reassembled and now it's as good as new. Probably took a couple of hours and some patience but worth doing when you're next at the multi storey and need to take the ticket!

Also, having a K reg 216gti, The glass might actually be coming out of the two plastic "grippers"(happened to me on M6, then it rained !!). Don't bother messing with them. Replace with new ones, they don't feel any different but they are ! I faffed about for weeks, araldite etc. New clip in place, no more bother.

Sponsored Links
thanx porker. that was the problem.the securing bolts had started to pull and split the door skin,and others were loose!!all better now and my missus loves me again---till the next time anyway!!

Back