Window Frame Rotten?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My builder installed new wooden sash windows for my flat last summer. Unfortunately, it seems the corner of the window frame is a bit rotten (pic attached).

I don't really know how big this problem is, and what is the best way to repair the damage. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

thanks
Patrick

Attachments

• windowFrame.jpg
    windowFrame.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 70
Sponsored Links
A combination of a two part epoxy filler and new sections of timber cut to shape, depending on the extent of the material removed.

Blup

At one year old it is exceedingly unlikely that you have any rot - that generally takes a few years. Almost certainly that is (oil based?) paint which has bubbled and cracked in the recent hot weather. The mastic (?) sealant between the frame and the masonry also appears like it may have cracked so worth checking the rest of the frame. So, just take a stripping knife or scraper and pry away the cracked paint then inspect the wood underneath. In all probality you should be able to sand out the area, reprime it, then repaint it. A chespish repair. I doubt there's any need for fillers, resins, wood hardener, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back