Rotten window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I've got a couple of sash windows that need a good rub down and re-painting.

In just one area (bottom right of the frame) you can see it's rotten.

Can anyone tell me please, where do I start with this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
the way the timber has shrunk,i would be prepare to find dry rot????
if so then i would make up a complete new sash,the only thing that you might be able to salvage would be top rail,which may break the tennons when taking apart,
if you are handy enogh with a router and some chisels and a drill then this can be done,if not then find a good chippy or joiner to do it for you.

the way the timber has shrunk,i would be prepare to find dry rot????
if so then i would make up a complete new sash,the only thing that you might be able to salvage would be top rail,which may break the tennons when taking apart,
if you are handy enogh with a router and some chisels and a drill then this can be done,if not then find a good chippy or joiner to do it for you.

keep active my man it helps :D :D ;)

before you do anything measure the actual opening checking for square and being parallel
iff nessisery make the bottom part off the window [bottom rail ]larger to allow the top window top rail to be shaved to fit the frame
in other words iff the frame is out off parralel by say 10mm [one side 10mm lower] you make the bottom window bottom rail 12mm oversized to allow you to fit the top and bottom
the frame diagonally opposite will need a bit off 2 pack filler on the corners

Thanks chaps for your replies.

Getting a whole new sash made up? That sounds expensive and a lot of trouble.

The window frame is in good condition throughout it's just that bottom corner, couldn't I just get someone to replace that bottom rail?

The rotten area is hard to touch if that helps to determine if it is dry rot.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
there wont be a lot off difference in the cost to do it properly and you wont have a lump off ply for a window for a week or so

to pay to have that fixed will cost to much. chisel away all the rotten wood and replace with new will cost very little.

A joinery shop will probably cost about £130 for the sash lite and £70 to glaze, or cheaper if you can glaze yourself. Definelty replace as opposed to renovate as you're probably looking at £150 in labour alone.

firstly, if it's hard to the touch why do you suspect it of being rotten? if it's just the surface unevenness then maybe it's been filled already?

assuming it is rotten over most of the frame width as it appears

it's an opening sash so
1) it will be hard to make the joint strong enough with a repair. they take a lot of stress when you are opening them.
2) it's relatively easy to replace.
if it was the surrounding frame i might be more inclined to repair if possible.

single glazed shouldn't be too expensive.

as said above if the rotten area is shrunk then could be dry rot, so hoover up all the dust very carefully and apply plenty of preservative to the surrounding areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back