Window Handle Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

Right, I am not a mechanically minded man, so please forgive the dreadful technical shortfall of the following vocabulary.

I have broken the handle on a UPVC doubleglazed window in my bedroom. Ripped the handle clean off the bit that's screwed into the window itself.

I went to B&Q to buy a similar looking replacement, but when I screwed it in, I found discovered...*warning, this is where I may get a bit garbled*...

The long piece of metal that extends from the fitting, that goes into the window itself and interacts with the lock mechanism when the handle is turned, is too short. When I have installed the window handle, I turn it through 360 degrees of motion, but all the while, nothing happens, because the rotating piece of metal that goes into the window doesn't reach far enough.

I hope that makes sense. I am happy to attempt to illustrate this scenario in MS Paint.

After trips to B&Q, Homebase and my local glazier, I have now bought three different window handles, none of which have been long enough. Does anyone know a website/place where I can sort handles by length of...whatever this usually unseen bit is called...or can anyone tell me what the technical term is for what I'm talking about, so I can stop wasting money time and time again.

As you can imagine, I really don't want to have to call in a professional person for this!

Thanking all of you in advance,

Max

Sponsored Links
The spindle size you are buying is to short, you need to buy a handle with a longer spindle

Sponsored Links
Well I have measured the spindle of the opposite window, and it's 46-47mm, which seems longer than the standard issue replacements, that seem to be 10-40mm. I shall take a look at your site!

If you get stuck duffells in crydon do a handle with a 50mm spindle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back