Window Handles (ESPAG) - are there other options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I am fitting wooden windows and they will come with ESPAG handles like the following.

My question is this - does anyone know where i can get more suttle / smaller handles to do the job? All those on the market (internet etc) are large and bulky like this and I want somethign suttle...

Cheers

Darren[/img]

Sponsored Links
An Espagnolette fitting throws long bolts all the way to the top and the bottom of the window, and into the frame. they are more often used on French Windows which are quite large (though they are not especially secure). You need a fairly big handle to apply the necessary force. Sometimes a "T" shaped brass handle is used.

What sort of windows have you got? How big are they? Do they have these long throw bolts?

Your diagram does not seem to show the spindle size, but it is probably a standard square steel one, and if you consult an ironmongers catalogue you will find lots of handles to fit. Some of then will be called door handles. I see the one in your picture has a lock cylinder, so you may have trouble with insurance if you replace then with an insecure handle.

If you get handles the same colour as the frame, or spray them, they will not be obtrusive and you will get used to them.

JohnD

Thanks for this - the windows are large wooden windows with throw bolts down the side. The handles do have a square spindle in the middle to drive these throw bolts.

I see you point on the need for something meaty to apply this force - I was just kind of hoping there would be something more suttle out there.

Your idea of painting them is interesting - they are currently black handles. Would I need to powder coat these before I paint them (the paint colour is a farrow and ball so 'spray'' paint is not possible.

D

JohnD - just a clarification.

This is not an 'external espagnolette' bolt - it is the same principle as this inside the window itself (as seen on many modern pvc windows).

D

Sponsored Links
Sorry I don't know about powder coating. there might be a special primer.

You might have a look at the Car sprays in Halfords or somewhere - they do a vast range. Or use a toning but non-identical colour (gloss and matt paints never look identical even when they are). You may find the manufacturer offers a brasslux plated handle at extra cost, though IMO they are a bit garish, or a white one.

If you are going for a traditional look, a brass oval or T-handle might look right, though you would still have the problem of adding a lock. Some garage door handes are T with cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back