Window locks help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to put some window locks on my wooden casement windows but the window frame is slightly angled compared to the part that opens, ie it is not at a right angle. I tried some of the locks that have the alan key screws but couldn't get it to work because of the angle.
Until we can get our windows updated and replaced, the locks are mainly for insurance purposes but also the stay currently fitted looks like it could be prized open with just a butter knife!

Any suggestions on what locks I could use please?

Sponsored Links
Make a Packer ?
Solid would be good but even washers might help

if your windows are fairly thick and sturdy, there is a short version of the mortice rack bolt that is very good.

not often seen

WindowRackBolt.jpg

When the key is removed, the bolt is deadlocked so it cannot be pressed back with a tool, and a person breaking the glass will not be able to see the keyhole from outside.

The key should be removed, and can be hung on a cup-hook in the upper corner of the frame, behind the curtain, out of sight of a burglar or casual visitor, but easily accessed by a lawful resident.

Last edited:
If you want an inexpensive lock to tide you over, I have a stock of metal locks, but they are not so elegant. How many windows do you have, and what size are they?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies

Make a Packer ?
Solid would be good but even washers might help
I was thinking about this but thought it might look a bit untidy and I'd prefer just to find a lock that I can fit out the box.

if your windows are fairly thick and sturdy, there is a short version of the mortice rack bolt that is very good.

not often seen

View attachment 232724

When the key is removed, the bolt is deadlocked so it cannot be pressed back with a tool, and a person breaking the glass will not be able to see the keyhole from outside.

The key should be removed, and can be hung on a cup-hook in the upper corner of the frame, behind the curtain, out of sight of a burglar or casual visitor, but easily accessed by a lawful resident.
Looking at my windows, these look like they would do the job and they look discreet once fitted. Just need to find some of the right size.

If you want an inexpensive lock to tide you over, I have a stock of metal locks, but they are not so elegant. How many windows do you have, and what size are they?
What sort of metal locks are they? It's the 'not so elegant' bit I'm a bit concerned about!

Thanks again for the help and replies.

can't remember, but I will have a look when I'm in the storeroom. They will be surface mount. I recommend you do the who house with the same type.

I did have a case of those little mortice rackbolts, I bought when I had an old house with casements, never got round to fitting them and sold them on ebay after I moved. I have an idea they are around £3 - £5 and you need two on a large casement. They are a lot shorter than the similar one used on doors.

can't remember, but I will have a look when I'm in the storeroom. They will be surface mount. I recommend you do the who house with the same type.

I did have a case of those little mortice rackbolts, I bought when I had an old house with casements, never got round to fitting them and sold them on ebay after I moved. I have an idea they are around £3 - £5 and you need two on a large casement. They are a lot shorter than the similar one used on doors.
I managed to buy 2 of the short concealed bolts suggested above from a local hardware shop. They didn't have any more (I needed 4 locks) in stock but did have 1 pack of snaplocks (similar to ERA 801) which came with an angled packing plate for use when frames aren't at a perfect right angle.
These should do the job.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back