Window manufacturing fault..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me what overlap I should expect on casement windows with side hung openers.? I have just had new ones fitted, and they fitted easy clean hinges on all of them at the factory.. I've just noticed that there are gaps on the hinge side on all of them in various levels of severity. I have them coming to inspect and rectify, but before they get here i want to know how much normally is the overlap on window openers?
For instance. On the frames the window aperture is 500mm wide... So the side hung sash should be 510mm or 520mm? At the moment I have 10mm overlap one side and 0 the hinge side. Obviously this can be moved I'm sure, although not easily and I believe it was a fault during manufacture as there isnt a simple adjustment to change this. What is a "norm" to ensure the window closes onto the seal and should thry be fully on the seal or should it be half way onto it..? I cant seem to find anything on google about the overlap in manufacturing? The top and bottom to bottom measures 20mm difference between aperture and sash, but 10mm difference in width. If they tell me that the are going to come adjust all of them over to the hinge side to shut the gaps up, then I'll have 5mm each side overlap.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Sponsored Links
A good indicator is to see if the welds on the opener line through with the welds on the frame, I'm guessing yours are out by miles, from experience you should be looking at at least 8mm each side but preferably overlapping the entire gasket. If the openers have been made too small/narrow then moving them over might mean the cams won't engage in the keeps on the lock side, something to check when they've adjusted, I'm sure they'll check too, it might be a reason why they've been fitted so far over, opener being too narrow

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back