Window overlay pins

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house has wooden overlays on some of the windows which are held in by 4 little plastic pins.
Over the years (about 20), some of these pins have lost their heads, and others are getting past their best.

Anyone know what the correct name for them is, and where can I get replacements?
They are about 4 or 5 mm diameter.

Sponsored Links
These are all nails of some description. What I'm actually looking for is completely plastic. You just push them in by hand into a hole that is already there. They can then be pulled out with plyers, and the overlays removed for cleaning.
If I knew how to attach a picture, I'd show you what I mean

These are all nails of some description. What I'm actually looking for is completely plastic. You just push them in by hand into a hole that is already there. They can then be pulled out with plyers, and the overlays removed for cleaning.
If I knew how to attach a picture, I'd show you what I mean

To attach a picture just click on 'upload a file' just below the box where you type a reply then browse your files where the picture is likely to be stored, works well with phones and tablets

Sponsored Links
OK, here goes -
20151114_163317[1].jpg

Sorry to have been so long in replying. Father-in-law (87 & with a bit of dimentia) fell and broke his hip and was in hospital. He's in York, and we're in Aberdeenshire, so a bit stressfull time. Glad to report he's out of hospital & making good progress.

Back to the pins - here's a few photos -
20151130_114445.jpg

General view

20151130_114502.jpg

Front door

Pin 1.jpg

Arrow showing pin

20151130_114531.jpg

Me pulling out pin

Pin 2.jpg

Arrow showing hole in window frame where pin locates

Pin 3.jpg

Putting the overlay back in. Red arrow showing pin located in overlay. Blue arrow shows hole in window frame where the pin gets pushed into when the two are aligned.

I hope this helps identify what I'm looking for.

Never ever seen that before, must be a Scottish thing, do they need to be removable, if not why not knock in some brown headed polypins, just Google for them for pictures

They really need to be removable in order to clean the windows properly.

I've been thinking that if I can't identify the correct part, I may have a go at modifying a golf tee. They are slightly larger in diameter, but if I spin one in my drill, I may be able to sand it down a bit, then cut it to the correct length. Worth a try, don't you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back